Pregnancy is an incredibly special time in any woman’s life, and here at Fertility, Bump and Beyond, I want to support this special feeling and pamper you whilst you prepare yourself for the birth of your baby.
A massage during pregnancy is designed to encourage you as mum-to-be to become in touch with your body and bond with your unborn child. In conjunction with some reflexology, the benefits of massage during pregnancy include:
- Lessening the effects of morning sickness
- Improving circulation to reduce the swelling in the hands and feet
- Minimising back and sciatic nerve pain
- Providing relief from headaches, muscle aches and leg cramps
- Reducing the likelihood of stretch marks and improve elasticity of your skin
- Potentially helping to lower blood pressure
- Assisting with an easier birth by encouraging you to be relaxed and calm yet totally in control of yourself
- Boosting your immune system, therefore giving more protection to your baby’s health
- Helping to rebalance the hormones that are already playing havoc with your body
I carry out pregnancy massage on my massage couch, during which you’re supported by a special cushion designed to be used by pregnant women. Of course, if you are unable to get onto the couch for any reason (it happens), we can work around that. The massage can be carried out on the floor on a futon mattress with you lying on your side, or even on a chair if the floor is uncomfortable.
You’ll be completely supported with pillows and bolsters all around you, to ensure that you are in the most comfortable position for you. I will never ask you to lie on your back or your stomach – it’s not recommended and it wouldn’t be comfortable.
I would always recommend that your partner attends one of your pregnancy massage sessions – to learn techniques that may help during labour. This can help your partner feel part of the pregnancy, prepare them to support you during labour, and can also help with them bonding with the baby as well.
Contra-Indications to a Pregnancy Massage
A massage cannot be undertaken if you’re suffering from certain conditions during your pregnancy. The main ones are:
- Low Placenta (Placenta Previa)
- Risk of DVT/Thrombosis
If you’re ever in any doubt, consult your doctor.